To effectively treat irritant contact diaper dermatitis, it is important to:
- Check diapers at 2- to 3-hour intervals to minimize exposure to irritants
- Gently cleanse the area with warm water, cotton balls, or baby wipes when the diaper is soiled to remove irritants, avoiding excessive washing and the use of potentially irritating soaps and cleansers
- Use gentle diaper wipes that do not contain alcohol, fragrance, irritants, or sensitizers (only if the skin is intact)
- Apply a proper emollient after cleansing following each diaper change to protect the diaper area.(2)
(1) Diaper dermatitis--an overview. Prasad HR, Srivastava P, Verma KK.
(2) Differential Diagnosis of Diaper Dermatitis, Bernard Cohen, MD